- I do not know my password. What do I do to locate this information?
- Who do I contact for Blackboard Help and Support?
- Do I need any special software to run Blackboard? What web browser should I use?
- Why did a get kicked out of Blackboard?
- How do I submit an assignment in Blackboard?
- Is there training available for using Blackboard?
- I am having problems submitting my assignments into Blackboard. What do I do?
- Why can I not see the course menu?
- How do I send an email with an attachment?
- How do I use the Discussion Board?
If you don't know your user name and/or need to set your password, go to http://my.vccs.edu/ and click on "Look up your user name and set your password". Input the information required and click on "Search". If you encounter a problem, you will need to contact the MySVCC Help Desk for assistance at 434-736-2059. Phone support is available weekdays from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. If you need password assistance after hours or on weekends, please refer to our After Hours Support information linked here.
We have a help request ticketing system that you can utilize if you need assistance with Blackboard. You can also call the college between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm Monday - Friday for assistance. Phone 434-949-1097 | To Submit a Help Request
Instructors for online courses do not have to make their course(s) available to students until 8:00 AM on the day that the session begins, so you will not have access to anything in Blackboard until that time. If you enroll in an online course after the session begins, there is a delay from the time of enrollment to access in Blackboard. The Blackboard enrollments update each morning, so if you enroll in an active course on Thursday, you would gain access by 10:00 AM on Friday.
Our web page on technical requirements outlines the web browsers, software, plug-ins, etc...that you will need to utilize Blackboard. Minimum Technical Requirements
- Blackboard has a 3-hour time limit, and sessions timeout after 90 minutes of inactivity. Web Browsers DO NOT register typing as activity. If you're typing an assignment, assessment, or discussion submission for longer than 90 minutes, the session may timeout when the submit button is pressed. This means that you may lose your work. To prevent lost work, you may want to create your content in a word processing program and then copy & past the content into Blackboard.
- It could also be an issue with your browser. Blackboard does not integrate well with Internet Explorer, so if this is the browser you have been using when you experienced these issues, you may want to try using Mozzilla Firefox or Google Chrome when accessing Blackboard to see if this alleviates the problem.
- There could be an issue with your internet service provider causing you to get timed out. If the problem persists, you may want to contact your ISP.
Some instructors will have you email your assignments as attachments, and others will have you submit them directly into Blackboard. You need to refer to the syllabus within your course and/or contact your instructor to identify the method in which you are expected to turn in your course work. For the video linked here on sending an email through Blackboard, the video has the email tool being accessed through a tools button on the course menu. For all SVCC courses in Blackboard, we have an area on the course menu called "Email" that takes you directly to this tool. Please keep that in mind as you watch this video. Assignment Submission Within Blackboard | Sending an Email with Attached File Through Blackboard
All basic functions student need to know to use Blackboard successfully are covered in the Hoonuit video linked here. Please keep in mind that these videos do not cover integrated publisher software such as MyMathLab, LateNiteLab, and other publisher content. Blackboard Ultra-Student Tutorials
One common problem with submitting assignments in Blackboard is with file name. File names should be kept simple. Letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and underscores (_) are all valid characters. You or your instructor may encounter problems when using other symbols or spaces. Not all web browsers and operating systems will accept these file types when either uploading and/or downloading these files, so it is best to avoid them. If it doesn't seem to be a problem with the file name, it could be an issue with your web browser. Students using Internet Explorer may find that they cannot upload files successfully; for this reason, we strongly encourage you to access Blackboard only through Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.
You can mouse over and click the area in between the course menu on the left and your content on the right to hide or display the menu. So if your course menu completely disappears, you may have simply hidden the menu. Move your mouse over that area dividing the menu from the rest of the page (the content) and click it to redisplay the course menu.
- Sending an Email Through Blackboard Video Tutorial - For the video linked here on sending an email through Blackboard, the video has the email tool being accessed through a tools button on the course menu. For all SVCC courses in Blackboard, we have an area on the course menu called "Email" that takes you directly to this tool. Please keep that in mind as you watch this video.
- Sending an Email with Attachment through Gmail
The discussion board is not utilized in all courses. If your instructor is using this tool, the video below provide you with an overview of using this tool.