Often students are unable to attend courses on campus and need to complete course work through an online environment. At Southside Virginia Community College, we strive to provide a variety of options for students in regards to the course formats that we offer.
|Types of Courses|
- SVCC Online Courses: The course work for these classes can be completed anywhere, as long as you have a computer and reliable internet connection. Most courses are taught through the Blackboard Learning Management System, but they can include the use of other websites, software, and email to present material and collect assessments. SVCC Online Course Offerings
- Hybrid Courses: These courses are a combination of face-to-face and electronic delivery where 50-99% of the course content is delivered online. Since a portion of the course is completed outside of the classroom, students can benefit from the increased flexibility, but also have the advantages that come from face-to-face interaction with the instructor since there is a classroom component.
- Shared Distance Learning Courses: Southside Virginia Community College continues to expand their course offerings through a partnership with Northern Virginia Community College. These online courses are coordinated through NOVA’s (Northern Virgina Community College) Extended Learning Institute (ELI) and are offered through Southside VA Community College’s course catalog. Through this unique arrangement, an SVCC student can take online classes from other community college partners without having to transfer credits or apply to other institutions. These Shared Service Distance Learning (SSDL) courses become part of the Southside Virginia Community College curriculum. Shared Distance Learning Courses Information Page
|Other Resources for Distance Student|
- Attendance in a Distance Course
- Online and Hybrid Instructor Contact Information
- Bookstore: The college bookstores do have textbook information for all courses.
- Brainfuse Online Tutoring
- Technology Tools for Students (Software, Apps, Online Programs, etc.)
|Canvas and Canvas Mobile|
GO MOBILE -- CANVAS STUDENT AND TEACHER APPS
Canvas is very friendly with mobile devices, IF you use Canvas' own apps, which can be downloaded free of charge.
Students, there is a student app for both iOS and Android products ... just search for Canvas Student and look for the logo:
Instructors: there is a teacher app for Canvas as well that is extremely functional, even to the point of allowing you to grade work within the app on your phone or tablet as you are on the go. As with the student app, it is available for both iOS and Android, just search Canvas Teacher.
|Student Grievance Process Policy & Procedure|
SVCC’s Student Grievance Policy and Procedure is described in our catalog. SVCC strives to provide the highest quality educational opportunities available. However, if a conflict does arise, our efforts are meant to resolve your grievances, complaints, and concerns in an expeditious, fair, and amicable manner. Students should follow carefully the steps outlined in our catalog to ensure proper and timely resolution of their complaint.Complaints must follow the college's customary resolution procedure prior to being referred SCHEV.
SCHEV Student Complaint Process https://www.schev.edu/index/students-and-parents/resources/student-complaints