Students taking distance education courses can go to the Alberta or Keysville campus or to one of our extension center locations to use the computer labs. You will need to contact the center or campus nearest you for lab times. Locations and Phone Numbers
Students planning to use their own personal computers need to make sure the following requirements are met: (If you encounter problems with your personal computer, you will need to find an alternate means to complete your online work.)
|Basic Skills Requirements|
Students taking an Internet class should have the following skills and be able to do the following.
- Basic word processing (saving files, opening files)
- Locate a file on a hard drive or flash drive
- Send and receive e-mail (including attachments)
- Download and install necessary utilities, updates, and plug-ins
- Complete a basic search on the internet using a search engine (example: Google)
- Run virus scans on your computer
Basic Skills Requirements
- You need to have regular access to your own laptop or desktop computer. Many functions in Blackboard (especially tests) will not work on any mobile device, whether tablet or phone. If you are taking an online course, but are regularly on one of the main college campuses, you may use the computers in one of our labs or the Comprehensive Learning Center to complete work for that online course.
- Adobe Reader: This is free software that will allow you to view PDF files. This is a file type that is commonly used in the online environment. Adobe Reader Download
- Office 2016: As a student at SVCC, you have a license for Office 365 for free. Through Office 365, you can download the latest version of Microsoft Office free of charge. Office 365 Information and Sign-In
Additional Note: Generally it is a good idea to have both Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers installed on your computer. If you are experiencing a problem with Blackboard, it could be a problem with how your browser or a browser plug-in is responding to the system. If you have more than one browser on your computer, you can easily and quickly switch browsers to see if this alleviates the problem.
- Session cookies must be enabled.
- Pop-up windows must be enabled.
These settings must be enabled for Blackboard. (https://learn.vccs.edu/)
Use the Browser Tune-up link below to check whether you have the required players and plug-ins installed and download the latest versions.
Pop-ups Are Allowed
Cookies Must Be Allowed/Enabled
Cookie errors most often occur because a required cookie is blocked by the web browser. Please make sure that cookies from the websites used in your course are allowed by your browser. For instructions, click the link for your browser in the list below.
Go Mobile - Mobile and Tablet Resources
Blackboard is not mobile friendly, but it does have a mobile app that can make certain functions more user friendly. An online course can not be completed in its entirety on a mobile device, but there are certainly some tasks that can be completed from your tablet, iphone, ipad, or android device.
|Canvas and Canvas Mobile|
GO MOBILE -- CANVAS STUDENT AND TEACHER APPS
Canvas is very friendly with mobile devices, IF you use Canvas' own apps, which can be downloaded free of charge.
Students, there is a student app for both iOS and Android products ... just search for Canvas Student and look for the logo:
Instructors: there is a teacher app for Canvas as well that is extremely functional, even to the point of allowing you to grade work within the app on your phone or tablet as you are on the go. As with the student app, it is available for both iOS and Android, just search Canvas Teacher.