New Students - Veterans Services

What does Southside Virginia Community College need from you?

Certificate of Eligibility or Notice of Basic Eligibility. 

To obtain a Certificate of Eligibility you must apply for your benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Apply online at  VONAPP

Veterans should fill out the VA Form 22-1990 for the following benefits:

  • Montgomery GI Bill Active Duty - Chapter 30
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33
  • Montgomery GI Bill Select Reserve - Chapter 1606

Veterans should fill out the VA Form 28-1990 for the following benefit:

  • Veterans applying for Chapter 31 - Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment 


Once you have completed the form, mail it to the appropriate VA Regional Regional Processing Office. Our region is the Eastern Region and the address is below.


Eastern Region:

VA Regional Office

P. O. Box 4616

Buffalo, NY 14240-4616


Once you have completed and submitted your application for education benefits the VA will process your application and send you (SVCC will not receive anything) a denial letter with a reason, or a Certificate of Eligibility.

The SVCC Office of Veterans Services needs a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility.

After the SVCC Office of Veterans Services has a copy of your certificate of eligibility you will need to:

  1. Be program placed into the academic program you wish to complete
  2. Enroll in classes
  3. Request to have your enrollment certified SVCC - GI Bill Enrollment Request Form
    • Before submitting your request for certification of enrollment there are a few things you should know.
      • Only classes that are a requirement of yourcurrentacademic program (major) will be certified. There are only two (2) exceptions to this rule:
        • A faculty advisor may request that a non-required course be substituted for a program requirement. (The Office of Veterans' Services will need verification of this substitution.)
        • Rounding Out Rule - In your last semester of an academic program, if the required courses left to complete your academic program are less than full-time enrollment you may take non-required courses to round out your schedule to full-time.
    1. To change your academic program at SVCC
  4. If you change your enrollment (add, drop, withdrawal from a class) your benefits also change. You must notify the Office of Veterans' Services immediately to reduce the impact on your benefits. You must submit the SVCC - GI Bill Enrollment UPDATE Form as soon as possible following the change of your enrollment.
    • A delay in your enrollment certification update could result in an overpayment by the VA.
    • If you are overpaid by the VA, you will be required to repay what is owed to the VA.


If you have any questions please email or call 434-736-2100