Whitney Smiley graduated from Park View High School and, thanks to SVCC's dual enrollment program, completed her Associate of Arts and Sciences from Southside Virginia Community College in the same year. She earned her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology and Sociology and a Master of Arts in Psychological Sciences from James Madison University. This year, she completed her Ph.D. in Educational Research from the University of South Carolina.
While obtaining her advanced degrees, Whitney held several graduate assistantships, internships and instructional positions. From 2012-2014, she was employed as an Educational Consultant for Richland School District One in Columbia, SC. Next, she was an Assistant Research Scientist for the College Board, based in Newton, PA and, most recently, an Analytical Consultant for SAS Institute in Cary, NC.
Whitney's research interests include:
• Examining district, school, and teacher factors related to student growth and achievement
• K-12 student mathematics course taking and implications for higher education success
• Rural students' educational disparities and adjustment to post-secondary institutions
• Multilevel modeling methodology
• K-12 teacher training and professional development
• Use of technology and project based learning in educational settings
Whitney has co-authored six publications, with an additional six in progress!