Certificate: Human Services
The program is designed to prepare students for entry into a variety of occupational pursuits which provide skills for educational, community and social service jobs.
Instruction includes both theoretical concepts and practical applications needed for success in human services and related activities. Successful completion of academic courses does not guarantee coordinated internship placement. Agency requirements will be used in making internship placement decisions.
Students are urged to consult with their faculty advisor or a counselor for assistance in planning programs and selecting electives. Students who plan to transfer to a four-year college or university are encouraged to consult with the senior institution to which they plan to transfer for assistance in planning program. For those who wish to transfer, refer to the Human Services options under Transfer Degrees.
If the student is preparing for employment in the field of Human Services, he/she should be aware of the following requirements and plan accordingly:
- Students must meet with a faculty advisor and determine the suitability of the program.
- The applicant must be free of any mental or physical condition which might adversely effect his/her performance in the field of Human Services.
- Students with disabilities who meet program prerequisites are eligible for admission to the program.
- The applicant must be of excellent moral character and must not have been convicted of any serious misdemeanor involving moral turpitude or any felony. Background checks may be conducted.
- Students who plan to be employed in the field of Human Services are encouraged to check with the employing agency in order to determine any special employment requirements of the particular agency.
Occupational Objectives: The following occupational titles represent examples of possible employment opportunities:
- Assistant Correctional and Rehabilitation Counselor
- Assistant Drug Counselor
- Assistant Intellectual Disability Counselor
- Day Care Aide
- Outreach Worker
- Senior Citizen Activity Counselor
- Teacher Aide and Instructional Assistant