Welcome to Southside Virginia Community College!!! If you are going to be a student at Southside, it is important that you are aware of technology that is available to you and are prepared to utilize it. As Hugh Macleod, cartoonist, once said..."It's not what the software does. It's what the user does." So that being said, some of the resources that you have access to are noted below, but in the end it is what you do with those resources that is significant.
- One sign-in to access the Student Information System, Blackboard, Student Email, etc.
Student Information System (SIS) How To Guide - You can access the student information system by logging in to your MySVCC page (see above). Through the SIS Student Center, you can...
- Drop Classes
- Add Classes
- View your Class Schedule
- View your Final Grades
- Request Offical Transcripts
- View Unofficial Transcripts
- View Advisement Information
- View Financial Aid
- Make Address Changes
- Make Phone Number Changes
- Set User Preferences
- Free Email Account - Accessible through your MySVCC page
- Required for all college email communication
- Access to various Google applications through this account (Google Apps for Education)
- Go to the "help" page linked above for tutorials, information on Google Apps, and more...
- Learning Management System used for online, hybrid, and some seated (traditional face-to-face) courses.
- Access Canvas through the MySVCC portal page. You can also access Blackboard by logging in through the direct link above...the user name and password is the same for both MySVCC and Canvas.
- It is recommended that you save the web addresses for the MySVCC Log-in and Direct Canvas log-in pages in some manner (ie. bookmark the sites/store as favorites). This is a safeguard in case the college website becomes unavailable for a period of time.
- NOTE: As of Summer 2019, the link to Canvas on the MySVCC portal page will be renamed "Learn". Clicking on the Learn button will take you directly to the Canvas log-in.
- Technology training when you want it - available 24-7
- Over 35,000 tutorials available covering 110 programs and/or devices
- Brief 30 second - 3 minute tutorials
- Click the link above for more information including how to access and utilize this site.
Zoom Web Conferencing Tool - Not utilized by all instructors
- Software used for online web conferencing and lecture capture
- Accessible through Canvas if used by an Instructor
- Go to the link to join a meeting if you have the meeting number. You can also join by downloading the free Zoom app for iOS or Android. Students should not need Zoom accounts to join any lecture or meeting initiated by their instructor or advisor
- Find research tools
- Search for books
- IT News
- Help Desk
- Southside Alert delivers important emergency alerts, notifications and updates to you on all your devices: email, cell phone, pager, smartphone.
- Click the link above to learn more and register.
- When you register, you will create a password, make sure you save your password. If your contact information changes, you will need to remember to update the alert system.
"It is not about the technology; it's about sharing knowledge and information, communicating efficiently, building learning communities and creating a culture of professionalism in schools...." - Marion Ginapolis, Superintendent, Lake Orion Community Schools