As a student at a school within the Virginia Community College System, you have access to Google Apps for Education. Therefore, your student email account utilizes Gmail, and it is through your Gmail account that you can access and utilize several other Google applications. Students are required to use this account for all email correspondence with the college including communication with instructors. Please review the information below concerning access to that account, what tools you have access to through your gmail account, etc.
|Your Student Gmail Account|
All student email addresses are email@example.com. Google Email is accessed through your web browser (Firefox, Google Chrome, etc.) and is the system that should be utilized for all college email correspondence.
- You do not need to create an account with Google.
- Access your student gmail account through http://www.email.vccs.edu/ or through your MySVCC page. Your MySVCC page is a portal page that automatically logs you in to Blackboard, the Student Information System, and your Gmail account. Once you log-in you will see links to all of those systems.
- If you do not know your user name and/or password, you can look up your user name and reset your password online or contact our help desk. To do this online, you will need to go click on the link below to enter your name, date of birth, and social security number, and what you enter must match what is in our system for this to work. If you are unable to do this, you will need to contact the college for assistance. College Help Desk
- If an instructor emails you using the "Email" tool within Blackboard, it will go to this VCCS Gmail account. Although emails can be sent from within Blackboard, they are not received there.
- While taking a class with Southside, you should check this email account several times each week.
- When sending an email an instructor, remember that subject lines are very important, because it is the first thing your instructor will see when checking his or her e-mail. Subject lines to your instructors should contain the class name and section number. Example: BIO101-02
- Always keep your e-mails short and to the point. Be very clear and specific about the problem or question you have and include your name at the bottom of your e-mail.
- Student Email Guidelines
Using Your Gmail Account - Online Tutorials
|Other Google Apps|
These other applications are accessible through your student gmail account. Go to your Gmail account and look in the upper left corner. You will see links for calendar, documents (docs), google sites, and drive.
Google Calendar - Google Calendar enables users to easily schedule meetings, create multiple calendars accessible online, and share calendars with others. They are also easily accessible through mobile devices.
Calendar Help - Getting Started, How To, and Fixing an Issue
Google Docs - Web-based documents, spreadsheets, drawings and presentations that let users edit the same file at the same time so you always have the latest version.
Docs Help - Getting Started, How To, and Fixing an Issue
Google Sites - Google Sites is an easy way to create web pages for intranets or class projects. You control what's public, and what's private. No coding or HTML required.
Sites Help - Getting Started, How To, and Fixing an Issue
Google Drive - Google Drive is your place to keep single up-to-date versions of all of your files online.
Below is a list of additional Google applications available to students. Google Applications
• Chrome Sync
• Custom Search
• Google Play Android Developer Console
• Map Maker