Frequently Asked Questions About Dual Enrollment




Image result for Dual Enrollment



 What are the advantages of dual enrollment?

• Save money - Courses through Southside Virginia Community College are much less expensive than through any 4-year college or university.  Dual Enrollment courses are offered to high school students at a much reduced tuition rate or free of charge depending on the high school policy.  Contact your high school to find out if there is a charge for dual enrollment courses.
• Save time - Dual Enrollment courses accelerate a student's college career and provides quality, affordable education close to home
• Provides collegiate instruction to high school students during regular school hours
• Provides students access to the same course content and curriculum that is offered on the community college campus • Provides highly qualified teaching faculty who meet the criteria set by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges
• Provides access to college resources, facilities and services such as advising, career counseling and mentoring

How does a dual enrollment course differ from an Advanced Placement (AP) course?

A dual enrollment course is a college class taught by an instructor who has the degree and credentials to teach at a community college.  Upon successful completion of a dual enrollment course, a student is awarded college credit as well as high school credit.  A high school transcript and a college transcript are separately generated for each school.AP prepares students to pass an exam to prove their mastery of college-level curriculum. Dual credit in effect enrolls students in college courses while they are still in high school, allowing them to earn credit for both.


Where can students take dual enrollment classes?

In addition to the high schools listed here, Southside Virginia Community College offers some dual enrollment courses and special programs for high school students at its locations including the following. 

Amelia Nottoway Technical Center

      • Nurse Aide Course

Christanna Campus

John H. Daniel Campus

      • Automotive Technology
      • Certified Nurse Aide
      • CISCO Networking Academy Program
      • The Governor's School for Southside Virginia
      • Welding Program

Lake Country Advanced Knowledge Center

      • High Performance Technology Program
      • Emergency Medical Technician Program
      • Fire Science Technology Program
      • Welding Program
      • IT Academy 

Pickett Park

      • Diesel Technician Program
      • Truck Driver Training

Southern Virginia Higher Education Center  

      • High Performance Technology Program

Students may take any college course offered by SVCC for which they are qualified at any of our locations, however, the high school principal must grant permission for the course to be used to meet a high school requirement.

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment programs?

All high school students can benefit from college coursework, particularly—
• High school students attending a public or private school; but students must meet Southside Virginia Community College's requirements for taking classes
• Home schooled students are also eligible and students should contact their local community college to discuss options

What if my goal is to get a bachelor's degree at a four-year college or university?

SVCC offers Dual Enrollment credit for college general education courses, which are required for most two-year and four-year degrees. These Dual Enrollment courses begin your Associate of Arts and Sciences degree at SVCC or you can transfer directly to a four-year college or university. More information on individual school agreements can be found on the VCCS website's Transfer tab.

What if my goal is to get a one-year certificate or two-year degree in a career technical field and then get a job?

SVCC offers Dual Enrollment credit for career technical courses as well as transfer courses.  These Dual Enrollment courses begin your Certificate or Associate of Applied Sciences degree at SVCC.

What if I just want to take a course offered by SVCC for personal interest or to acquire a skill?

Some of SVCC's courses are not part of the Dual Enrollment program, but may be taken by high school students to gain a skill or for their personal interest.  These courses do not count towards high school course requirements unless specifically approved by the high school principal. Students interested in these courses should contact their high school guidance office.

Who may enroll in Dual Enrollment courses, and is there a minimum age to participate in the program?

Dual Enrollment students are admitted according to the provisions in the current Virginia Plan for Dual Enrollment. Generally, any high school students may enroll in a class if (1) they obtain their principal's permission and (2) their college placement scores and high school grades indicate they have satisfied academic prerequisites. Individuals below the age of 14 or below high school freshman level may apply to the college for special consideration for admittance which requires an interview with the parent and the student.

What is the cost of dual enrollment classes?

Each school division or private school makes its own policy regarding how much of the dual enrollment tuition it pays on behalf of the students.  Please consult with your guidance department to determine the cost for your school.

Is financial aid available for dual enrollment students?

Federal financial aid regulations prohibit a student from receiving federal financial assistance while still enrolled in secondary school.  However, because of special agreements between the College and the secondary school divisions, the student generally pays a much reduced amount of the tuition cost for overall dual enrollment courses.  Usually, this is a greater savings of the tuition cost than the student would normally have received from regular financial aid programs.  In addition, students and parents should also consider the low cost of community college classes as compared to 4-year schools.

Are students required to take the SVCC placement test in order to enroll in dual enrollment courses?

Dual Enrollment students must take the placement test before the SVCC can enroll them in courses.  If a student has already taken the SAT or ACT, SVCC will consider those scores in place of the placement test.

When do students take the placement test in order to enroll in dual enrollment courses?

SVCC gives the placement test at the high schools to all students interested in dual enrollment courses.  The high school counselors will know the date when it will be offered.  Students who do not take the placement test at their high school may take the placement test at Southside Virginia Community College during regular testing hours in Student Services. According to the VCCS policy, a student may only take the test twice in a two year period, with at least a year between testing dates. Additionally, remediation is required if the student does not meet the requirements on the first attempt in order to take it a second time. Prospective dual enrollment students who need to take the test at SVCC should contact the dual enrollment offices at 434.736.2000 on the John H. Daniel Campus and 434.949.1000 on the Christanna Campus. Coordinators or assistants will set up the testing session with Student Services and this must be done PRIOR to coming to the college to take the test.

How do we know which courses are approved for dual credit?

The high school guidance office can help the student select the courses approved by the individual school district for dual enrollment. 

Are there prerequisite courses which must be taken by students before enrolling in SVCC dual enrollment courses?

Dual Enrollment courses have the same prerequisites as their non-Dual Enrollment counterparts.  Specific course prerequisites are stated for individual courses in the SVCC catalog, accessible online or in print. 

What is the enrollment process for Dual Enrollment courses which transfer to colleges and universities?

For the student, the process begins at the high school by talking with the counselor to determine which dual enrollment courses are offered at the high school or on the SVCC campus. 

How do students get their grade report at the end of the semester?

Shortly after the exam period each semester the final grade for the course is posted to the College's Student Information System - SVCC Online.  To view or print a copy of the grades, students login to SVCC Online using their user id and password. Paper grade reports are not mailed to the home address.

How do students get a grade transcript sent to the high school or another college?

To request that an official grade transcript be mailed to your high school or another college, the student may login to SVCC OnLine and request the transcript or submit the request in writing by completing a 'Transcript Request Form' and sending it to the Registrar's Office on either campus. The request should include the name and address of the specific office where the transcript should be mailed as well as the student's name and either social security number or student user id. Written requests must be signed by the student. Transcripts are generally mailed within three days after the request is received. Bear in mind that for a student over the age of eighteen, a parent or guardian cannot conduct any business for the student without the student's approval. Filling out a FERPA form in the admissions office will address this.