What is the G3 Program?
The G3 Program is a tuition assistance program for any Virginia resident who qualifies for in-state tuition and whose family income falls below an identified threshold. Eligible students may enroll in designated programs leading to jobs in high-demand fields.
Who is eligible for the G3 Program?
Any Virginia resident who
- Qualifies for in-state tuition,
- Has a total household income of less than or equal to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (roughly an income of $100,000 for a family of four),
- Is enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours
- Is enrolled in a designated G3 program
- Has applied for federal and/or state financial aid programs
What are the designated programs?
• The designated programs fall into five targeted career areas that are in high demand in Virginia:
Healthcare, Information Technology, Manufacturing and Skilled Trades, Early Childhood Education, and Public Safety.
The programs are designed to be “stackable,” meaning that each program starts with skills training that leads to a certificate with immediate value in the labor market. Because the certificate is part of an associate degree, a working student can continue to “stack” additional certificates on the pathway to an associate degree.
How does tuition assistance work?
G3 Program funds make up the difference between what federal or state financial aid pays for and the cost of tuition, fees, and books for the program. This means that an individual enrolling in a certificate or degree program must first complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be eligible for the program. An individual enrolling in a designated short-term credential program must provide documentation of household income or eligibility for federal assistance programs.
Does a student have to enroll full-time?
• The G3 Program will be available for full- and part-time students. A part-time student must enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester or in an approved short-term program.
• The G3 Program will provide additional financial assistance to students who qualify for full Federal Pell Grants and enroll full-time (12 or more credit hours in fall and spring semesters and 6 credit hours in summer). This additional assistance is intended to reduce the number of part-time hours a student has to work so that he or she can spend more time studying.
Is there a time limit for eligibility?
• As long as a G3-eligible student continues in the same program pathway, he or she has up to three years to complete an associate degree.
• A student who completes a certificate and stops out to work will still be eligible for G3 if he or she returns within one year. After returning, the student will have two years to complete the associate degree.
- Eligible Programs
Emergency Medical Svcs (AAS)
Nursing, Registerd Nurse (AAS)
Administrative Support Tech Med Office
Inf Systems Tech (AAS Deg 299)
Inf Systems Tech - Networking
Adm Justice (AAS Deg 400)
Tech Studies in Ind Maint TechPractical Nursing (CERT)
Information Systems Tech(CERT)
Admin of Justic (Cert 406)
Hmn Serv (Cert 469)
Auto Diag & Tune-Up (Cert
Electricity (Cert 942)
Emergency Med Srvcs-Inter(CSC)
Emergency Med Srvcs Basic(CSC)
Emergency Med Srvcs-Advanced
Health Sciences CSC
Medical Office Assisting (CSC)
Foundations of Criminal Justice
Law Enforcement (CSC)
Substance Abuse CounAide (CSC)
Early Childhood (CSC)
Cybersecurity and Networking Foundations CSC
HVAC Basic Career Studies Cert
HVAC Advanced Career Std Cert
Automotive Tune Up
National Electricity Cd (CSC)
Industrial Electrical Technology
Adv Manu Tech (CSC 221-990-48)
High Performance Tech (CSC)
Certified Nurse Aide
Emergency Medical Technician
Licensed Massage Therapist
CISCO Certified Entry Networking Technician (CCENT)
CISCO Certified Network Associate
Backflow Prevention Device Certification
Core-Introductory Craft Skills
Electrical - Level 1
Electrical - Level 2
Electrical - Level 3
Electrical - Level 4
HVAC - Level 1
HVAC - Level 2
HVAC - Level 3
HVAC - Level 4
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic - Level 1
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic - Level 2
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic - Level 3
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic - Level 4
Introduction to Solar Photovoltaics
Power Industry Fundamentals
Power Line Worker 1
Solar Photovoltaic System Installer
Drill Press Skills I
Grinding Skills I
Job Planning, Benchwork & Layout
Level I CNC Milling: Operations
Level I CNC Milling: Programming Setup & Operations
Level I CNC Turning: Operations
Level I CNC Turning: Programming Setup & Operations
Manual Milling Skills I
Measurement, Materials, and Safety
S/P2 Heavy Duty/Diesel Technology
Welding - Level 1
Welding - Level 2
Welding - Level 3
ASE Entry Level Medium/Heavy Truck Diesel Engines
ASE Entry Level Medium/Heavy Truck Electrical/Electronic Systems
ASE Entry Level Medium/Heavy Truck Suspension & Steering
ASE Entry Level Medium/Heavy Truck Brakes
ASE Entry Level Medium/Heavy Truck Inspection Maintenance & Minor Repair