Student Services Professionals need to find out what courses are appropriate for your present skill level. In other words, they need to know your abilities in writing, reading, and math.
The VPT (Virginia Placement Test) is required of all students unless you have already completed coursework in English and/or mathematics and can be placed using our Multiple Measurement Policy. Placement testing helps to ensure your success.
- The test for English and Math are given on Mondays-Fridays. Please call Leslie Perkins at 434-736-2022 or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment for the placement test.
- An appointment is required for the placement test. Contact the campus closest to you for a testing appointment at other locations.
Do I Need to Take Placement Tests?
You can waive the placement test requirement if you:
- Submit an official transcript to the Student Development Services (firstname.lastname@example.org showing completion of college-level English or math with a grade of C or higher at an accredited institution where English is the official language. If you have not taken math or English within the last five years, meet with an advisor to discuss your readiness.
- Have successfully completed developmental courses at another community college in Virginia. If you completed developmental coursework at non-VCCS institution, your course will be evaluated for placement by Advising.
- Are taking classes for personal enrichment and are not enrolled in an English, math or another course that requires a pre-requisite or readiness in English or math. Course descriptions in the college catalog list pre-requisite and readiness requirements.
- Have graduated from high school within the last five years and can submit a high school transcript demonstrating one of the following placement measures:
|English Placement Measure||H.S. GPA or Score Range||Placement|
|High School GPA (H.S. GPA)
3.0 or higher
2.7 - 2.9
|SAT-ERW (Evidence-Based Reading and Writing)||
480 or above
460 - 470 range
|SAT – Critical Reading (Verbal) and Writing (Pre-March 2016)||500 or above
(on both sections)
|ACT-Subject Area Tests: English and Reading||18 or above
(on each test)
15 - 17 range
|GED-English (RLA-Reading through Language Arts)||165 or above
|Math Placement Measures*||H.S. GPA or Score Range||Placement|
|H.S. GPA and Algebra II and
One Algebra Intensive Course**
|3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|H.S. GPA and Algebra II||3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|H.S. GPA and Algebra I||3.0 or higher||MTE 1 – 3 Satisfied|
|SAT – Math||530 or above||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|510 – 520 range||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|SAT – Math
|520 or above||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|ACT – Subject Area Test: Math||22 or above||MTE 1 – 9 Satisfied|
|19 – 21 range||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|GED – Math||165 or above||MTE 1 – 5 Satisfied|
|155 - 164||MTE 1 – 3 Satisfied|
It is suggested that you take the VPT Practice Test prior to taking the VPT for course placement. An online practice test is available here. Use the directions below to access the online version. (A print version of the math section of the practice test is shown below.)
- From the dropdown menu "Institution," select "VCCS Practice Test Institution."
- Under "Site," select "VCCS Practice Test."
- The Site password is "Virginiapt".
- Continue filling in the form. Note the items marked * must be completed.
- In the right column, you MUST enter your student ID number preceded by svcc. And you must use your personal E-mail address. (When you take the ACTUAL test, you will not use the "svcc" before your student ID and you will use your SVCC E-mail address)
If you are unsure as to taking just practice test-1 or both practice tests, please check with a counselor.