Dropping Classes

Repayment Policy for Financial Aid Recipients

Important information about short session courses.

Most students who drop courses that are shorter than 15 weeks in length will have to repay financial aid funds already disbursed.  You should contact the Financial Aid Office before dropping short courses so that you understand how much you will be required to repay.

There is a difference between dropping a class and withdrawing from a class. The drop Period for each semester/term is the only time that students can drop a class. After the last day to drop with a refund, students who wish to unenroll will be processed as a withdraw (W).

Students who receive financial aid and withdraw from classes often owe back at least a portion of their financial aid award and bookstore charges.

Be sure to review the Academic Calendar so you know the deadline dates for enrolling, dropping, and withdrawing.

Please talk with a Financial Aid Advisor before making any changes to enrollment. Policies covering tuition refunds and repayments due from students who receive overpayments of financial aid are based on Federal regulations and State policies.

It is the student’s responsibility to make any change in his/her enrollment status official by processing an add/drop form through the Welcome Center or through mySVCC.

Changes in Enrollment Include

  1. Dropping or adding classes
  2. Cancelled classes. Cancellation of late starting classes may result in reduction or loss of aid.
  3. Failure to attend one or more classes

If a student fails to establish attendance, drops a class, or has a class cancelled, his/her eligibility for financial aid funds will be reduced accordingly.

If the student receives funds based on the higher enrollment level, he/she must repay the difference between the financial aid award for the higher enrollment level and the financial aid award for the lower enrollment level.

Students who fail to begin attendance in all classes are not eligible for financial aid and will be required to repay all financial aid funds received.

Students who stop attending classes and receive grades of F, R, U, W may be required to repay a portion of the total federal and/or state aid received.

Students who receive grades of F, R, U, W may also lose eligibility for further financial aid funds too.

In this section