Grants are a form of gift aid based on demonstrated financial need and usually do not have to be repaid as long as you complete the courses for which the grant aid was awarded. You must apply for financial aid and submit the FAFSA to SVCC to be considered for grants. Funds for most programs are limited, so apply early!

Available Grants

Federal Pell Grant

This is the largest federal grant program. The amount awarded is based on your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), which is calculated when you submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Federal Pell Grants are available year-round (including the summer term), but if you attend full-time in both the fall and spring terms you must take at least six eligible credits to potentially receive a summer Federal Pell Grant.

A lifetime Federal Pell Grant limit that equates to 12 full-time semesters applies. Before the term census (i.e. the last day to drop with a tuition refund for the longest session of the fall, spring, or summer term), Federal Pell Grants are offered based upon anticipated full-time enrollment. Federal Pell awards will be reduced after the term census for less than full-time enrollment and will not be increased if courses are added later in the term.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

This federal program offers grants to eligible students enrolled in at least six eligible credits. You must show exceptional financial need and be pursuing your first baccalaureate degree.

Virginia Commonwealth Award

This grant may be offered to qualified students who are enrolled at least half-time, demonstrate financial need and are domiciled residents of Virginia.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP)

This program provides awards up to the cost of tuition and fees to eligible students who graduated from a Virginia high school with a 2.5 cumulative GPA and who are residents of Virginia. A cumulative GPA of 2.0 is required for renewal and awards may only be received two times while attending SVCC (once per grade level). To be considered for VGAP, you must submit a final, official high school transcript to the Financial Aid Office in addition to completing the financial aid application.

Part-Time Tuition Assistance Grant (PTAP)

These grants are funded by the Virginia Community College System and can be applied toward tuition, fees and books for qualified students who demonstrate financial need. Recipients must be domiciled residents of Virginia and be enrolled in 1-11 required credits per term.

G3 Grants
  • Qualifies for in-state financial aid
  • Has a total household income of less than or equal to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (roughly an income of $100,000 for a family of four)
  • Is enrolled for a minimum of six credit hours at a local community college
  • Has earned a high school diploma or GED
  • Is enrolled in a designated G3 program
  • Has applied for federal and/or financial aid
Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA)

Beginning with the 2022-2023 aid year, students who are unable to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) can now be considered for state financial aid by submitting the Virginia Alternative State Aid (VASA) application. You can find more info here:

In this section